Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hi All,
I’m excited to tell you these stories. One of them has to do with what I referred to earlier as “The running dialogue” that fills my mind from time to time, especially when I am feeling sad. The other story has to do with signs that occasionally happen, signs that appear as objects right out here in the physical world. How these things are achieved I do not know, only that they do happen. I am telling these two stories simultaneously because they tie together in the end.
The first story begins a few days after Danny died. I was lying in bed unable to get out. I ached so badly that it hurt to breathe. I opened up my laptop to hunt down one of those deep breathing meditation exercises that I knew were in my I tunes when my eyes were drawn to a song on the list entitled Free Bird. I didn’t know the song and had only recorded it because I liked the soundtrack that it was on, but now I wanted to hear it. I was drawn to hear it and I wanted to know what the lyrics said. So, I hit on it and this is what I heard:
If I leave here tomorrow would you still remember me? I must be travelling on now cause there’s too many places I’ve got to see. If I stay here with you now, things just couldn’t be the same. Cause I’m free as a bird now and this bird you cannot change. No, this bird you can not change. Lord knows I can’t change. Lord knows I can’t change.

“Wow”, I thought. “This really could be Dan speaking”. I played it again, and again. There was something about it that just pulling me in. Again and again I played it. “Okay, I thought, “You’re my Free Bird. From now on I’m going to call you Free Bird”. And I did. I began to think of Danny as Free Bird and hoped that he was feeling more free than he had in this life. I told the family about this, so it was not a secret.
The next story took place a couple of weeks later. Jerry had decided to play golf that day at the golf club close to where we used to live. It was late in the afternoon on a warm summer day and I felt the desire to leave the city and stay close to him. I don’t like to play golf myself, but I desired to sit in the golf cart and watch the sun set over the plush greens. Now that we had moved back to the city, this was a touch of country for me. So, we headed out together and traveled the familiar trip back to the old neighborhood. As we pulled off the highway at the Ardsley exit, the familiarity triggered my memories of living there with Dan and the pain began to rise up on the inside wall of my chest. “Danny used to drive his car down this street…Danny liked that Duncan Donuts…Danny’s friends must miss him not riding through town…Danny and I did this! Danny and I did that”. All these thoughts flooded my mind and I could hardly breathe when I hear these words, in my own voice, but these words: “Mom stop idealizing me! It was not a bed a roses and it wasn’t going to be. The truth is, I slept half the day and when I woke up I could be very grouchy to you. In the evenings I often went out with my friends. Look at it this way, now I am with you practically all the time. Look mom, you used to worry about me all day. Now you miss me but if you would let me in and realize that I am right here inside, you don’t have to be so sad.” I was really blown away by this because everything he said was true and it made sense. Part of me wanted to brush it off and just sit there crying, but I couldn’t. I felt this huge sense of comfort and I wanted to go with it.
Soon we pull up to the club. Jerry goes off to change and I head to the bench near the first tee. As I approach the path leading to my destination I see a few men standing around their golf carts in the distance. My first thought was, “Oh no. I’ve just been crying my eyes out. I must be a mess, all red in the face and puffy”…when I hear this: “Mom, they are probably assholes why do you care?” Now that was so Danny that I started to laugh out loud and I thought, “Well, they might not be assholes Danny, but why do I care anyway?” And I decided not to check my mirror and brave it! Was Danny making his old lady courageous? What a concept! I wasn’t sure what was happening but I felt much better and I allowed myself to enjoy the warm ride in the open cart with the birds singing as the sun slowly set and I felt that Danny was glad.
And now to the conclusion that ties the two stories together. Twenty minutes later Jerry and I are driving back to the city on the Henry Hudson Parkway, parallel to the Hudson River. I’m still feeling warmed by the experience of connecting with Danny, but I’m wondering, “Couldn’t this just be my own inner self trying to soothe me through this? How do I know this is really Danny? The mind can play so many tricks on you, especially when you are so sad.” And then I had a wild idea. I said to Danny, in my head of course, “Okay Danny, if this is really you and not just my inner self talking to me, give me a sign. I just need a sign”. No sooner had I finished saying that than I had the impulse to look at the Hudson River. I was astonished! Right there in front of my eyes was a white sail boat with the words FREE BIRD written across the side of the boat in bold royal blue letters! I grabbed Jerry’s arm and screamed “Look” and he was able to view it momentarily before he drove past it. I was so glad that Jerry saw it too!
It is easy to doubt, but at this point I decided to stay open to those thoughts, whenever they came and to heed them when they make sense, which to date has been always. As a result my own healing has been accelerated and through the Glenn Dove sessions Dan has confirmed that these communications help his growth and healing too. That is why I encourage all of you to initiate these conversations. You may not believe that you will be able to hear your child, but there is considerable relief in just saying the words of love that you feel to him or her with even just a small hope that they can hear you. And from what I am learning, they not only can hear us but it helps them to be acknowledged and receive these thoughts of love. And if that’s remotely possible, you might as well try it, for their sake as well as your own.
I must stop for now. Soon I will post instructions for doing “The Love Infusion”. That helps too. Please remember to sign in and post your thoughts. I’m dying to hear from you.
All best,
Sheri

2 comments:

  1. "Free Bird" is sort of an iconic song, and what a wonderful way to connect with Danny! I'm looking forward to my first experience with a medium, in the hopes of communicating with my departed loved ones (brother, mother, father). Thank you for offering these important words of comfort and hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri, I can't wait for you to share more of what I can do to connect with my son. My experience with Glen Dove was wonderful, I am trying to save money to talk with him once again. I could use a little more peace of mind.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete